Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random parts of house losing power.

Random parts of house losing power.

For some reason, lately there have been issues with random parts of the house losing most power. It mostly occurred after I tinkered with a faulty switch in the kitchen, then power went out in most plugs in the kitchen, but not the lights. The Living room still has lights, but some of the power in the plugs is out.
    However, ALL power in the bedrooms are out. If someone could provide some advice or perhaps help solve the problem, It'd be VERY helpful.

Also, a quick response would help, as I'm running the freezer using an extension cord

This isn't particularly quick, but go to your load center and see if you have a tripped breaker. It would be weird for the bedroom and kitchen outlets to be on the same circuit, but you never know.

Possibly the switch is more faulty than you know. Replace it, don't try to fix it.

Well, for the fridge/freezer; put milk, and any other spoilables in the freezer and just keep the doors closed and don't get inside of it until it's fixed. The coldness of whatever's inside should keep it cool in there for awhile.

be wise to ask an electrician to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Chillian View Post
    This isn't particularly quick, but go to your load center and see if you have a tripped breaker. It would be weird for the bedroom and kitchen outlets to be on the same circuit, but you never know.

Possibly the switch is more faulty than you know. Replace it, don't try to fix it.
    Checked the breaker, and everything is fine.

Flipped the whole thing multiple times, and no luck. Just some parts of the house don't have power, and some do.

For example, the entire office has power except the plugs on the wall that's part of the kitchen wall.
    And the plug next to the window in the living room is dead, but the one near the kitchen is on.

And as a side note, both refrigerators in the kitchen are working perfectly fine. So no worries about that~

Any other ideas? Also, the electrician is getting called today, but I'd like a fix that didn't need money.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan075 View Post
    Checked the breaker, and everything is fine.

Flipped the whole thing multiple times, and no luck. Just some parts of the house don't have power, and some do.

For example, the entire office has power except the plugs on the wall that's part of the kitchen wall.
    And the plug next to the window in the living room is dead, but the one near the kitchen is on.

And as a side note, both refrigerators in the kitchen are working perfectly fine. So no worries about that~

Any other ideas? Also, the electrician is getting called today, but I'd like a fix that didn't need money.
    Last time I had a situation like this is was due to a small electrical fire inside an outlet box, which fortunately didn't spread. Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything but a professional to look at this.

Last time I had a situation like this is was due to a small electrical fire inside an outlet box, which fortunately didn't spread. Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything but a professional to look at this.
    Hmm, okay. But it if helps any, when I turn the dryer on power is restored all throughout the house, then the power dims to about 50%, lights, fans, everything that didn't work before worked, but with less power than usual.

This is getting strange.

Hmm, okay. But it if helps any, when I turn the dryer on power is restored all throughout the house, then the power dims to about 50%, lights, fans, everything that didn't work before worked, but with less power than usual.

This is getting strange.
    Bad ground then maybe. But I still wouldn't trust it, especially since it followed on that problem with the switch.

Bad ground then maybe. But I still wouldn't trust it, especially since it followed on that problem with the switch.
    Hmm, so just for the purposes of telling the electrician, what exactly is the problem, and how hard/easy is it to fix?

Hmm, so just for the purposes of telling the electrician, what exactly is the problem, and how hard/easy is it to fix?
    I really couldn't say. I'm just guessing based on your description, and it could still be because of the sort of problem I mentioned earlier. Best to just describe what's happening and have him come up with his own diagnosis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast