Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the penalty for scamming?

What's the penalty for scamming?

As title,

A friend of mine named Lola45 ,level 114 at Macedon server scammed "someone's" items. Items cost about 1-2bils.

What's the punishment he might get? 1st warning , 1 week ban, 1 month ban or permanent ban?

Just a question that came to my mind and just wanted to know about Nexon penalty over this kind of players.

More fun posting the whole thing, so here it is:

Hmm...just noticed "Inappropriate Character Name" is posted twice. ^^

Hehe...big box. :P

Wow Atlantica GMs actually hand out bans to people who break trade agreements? That's something you don't see in every game. Wonder how many cases actually result in punitive actions against players who make some elaborate scam scheme.

and that is why I screenshot the PM's and trades of anything dig I trade unless I know the person personally (like IRL) like when I got scammed by D@mnLeon (@=a)

I personally think this is completely ridiculous.

Scamming isn't pretty, but it's a way of making money, like any other. Merchanting with newer players who have no idea of what their stuff is worth is also frown upon, but it's a way of making gold. A few months ago I bought a StormBringer +3 for 100M on auction, what category does that fit in? Stupidity of the seller? Unawareness of the seller? Scam? Either one of these has the same pratical result, I got something for way less its market value, and got a nice profit from it.

If you borrow your stuff to another player just because he asks you, I really don't think GMs should intervene at all. It's your screw up, not anyone else's. You can't complain that someone robbed you if you voluntarily gave that person 20 dollars.

Actually..you can complain. Its called civil court. Credit card companies do it all the time, and end up taking everything the person owns.

buying on Market is a mercant trade

what were refering to is an open trade, Example:Like if i traded my urus to a player and they refuse to give it back even though the agreement was that they returned it after x amount of time

the agreement was that I let them use it for X amount of time they return it

BTW i dont lend out gear/IM stuff to anyone anymore unless its my Boyfriend and thats because he lves with me and I can kick his butt if it goes poof

When you get a loan from a loan company, and you dont pay it what do they do? call creditors to hound you night and day or Repo the item loaned against(if its like a home/boat/car loan, smaller loaned items "pawn shop material" they jsut sell), its the same difference, you scammed their company for money which you refuse to pay back so they punish you by taking away the item or get a creditor to hound you. If you dont get the reference or simularitys then sorry about your luck.

well consider if 300 people turned in 1 scammer on any given server same scam, same scammer, if the apporiate actions are not taken the player-base will not be happy so in order to keep the player-base happy they have implemented rules of conduct.

Screenshot hold proof of a "verbal" agreement between the 2 parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyzon View Post
    Scamming isn't pretty, but it's a way of making money, like any other. Merchanting with newer players who have no idea of what their stuff is worth is also frown upon, but it's a way of making gold. A few months ago I bought a StormBringer +3 for 100M on auction, what category does that fit in? Stupidity of the seller? Unawareness of the seller? Scam? Either one of these has the same pratical result, I got something for way less its market value, and got a nice profit from it.
    I've seen this reply, or variants on it, in discussions on scamming before, and cannot disagree more. There is a huge difference between being scamming someone, and personally profiting from a surprise situation (like something underpriced on the market) - that difference is intent.

If you see something cheap on the market or auction house, you have not set out with the deliberate intention of taking advantage of someone, you are simply reacting to a situation. It is down to you if you choose not to buy something cheap knowing it's likely a mistake, but either way your conscience can be clear that you didn't start the day wanting to take advantage of someone.

That cannot be said for a deliberate scammer - whether they "borrow" without the intent of returning something, try and trick people with overpriced "houses" on the auction house, or any other way of getting money from people, they are deliberately out to take advantage playing in a way that ruins someone else's day.

Even if you see them as having the same result in practical terms, I think the intention is key. You cannot judge an accident and a deliberate act as being the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edvintari View Post
    I've seen this reply, or variants on it, in discussions on scamming before, and cannot disagree more. There is a huge difference between being scamming someone, and personally profiting from a surprise situation (like something underpriced on the market) - that difference is intent.

If you see something cheap on the market or auction house, you have not set out with the deliberate intention of taking advantage of someone, you are simply reacting to a situation. It is down to you if you choose not to buy something cheap knowing it's likely a mistake, but either way your conscience can be clear that you didn't start the day wanting to take advantage of someone.

That cannot be said for a deliberate scammer - whether they "borrow" without the intent of returning something, try and trick people with overpriced "houses" on the auction house, or any other way of getting money from people, they are deliberately out to take advantage playing in a way that ruins someone else's day.

Even if you see them as having the same result in practical terms, I think the intention is key. You cannot judge an accident and a deliberate act as being the same thing.
    +1 i totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyzon View Post
    I personally think this is completely ridiculous.

If you borrow your stuff to another player just because he asks you, I really don't think GMs should intervene at all. It's your screw up, not anyone else's. You can't complain that someone robbed you if you voluntarily gave that person 20 dollars.
    So, if you loaned your car to your neighbor and he now refuses to give it back to you. It's fine, it belongs to him now.

That's your logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast